Sunday, August 15, 2010

Arrival in Quito

After days (and days) of going away parties and tearful goodbyes, I finally started my ascent into the city of Quito, Ecuador. Flying in at 10:00 pm was absolutely magical. The entire city was glittering as we flew into the Mariscal Sucre airport in the middle of the city. Unfortunately, I didn't have the window seat but what I could see was unbelievable. This is from tonight, to get an idea of the city after dark.



Getting off of the plane was overwhelming. After traveling for 12 hours, standing in a line isn't going to be on the top of my list of things-I-want-to-do. But, alas, la Aduana (customs) took a little while. Then, I searched for my bag and was immensely relieved to see it waiting for me there, and not lost into the oblivion that luggage can fall victim to. Then it was time to find my host family. I don't know if it was the incredibly high altitude that I had never experienced before, or the unfamiliar lack of oxygen in the air, but my heart started to pound when the doors opened to the lobby-waiting area. About 150 people stood there waiting with signs, balloons, and anxious family members while they scan your face to see if you are their exchange student. Looking through the crowd, I finally see Gina, my Ecua-mom holding a sign with KAITLYN JANCO on it, and I make my way to her. Gina and my host-sister, Pamela, greet me with hugs and help my take my bags. I felt almost at ease as we drove back through Quito to their apartment and I get a small tour of their house. Pamela translates some information for me, and I am very grateful for this. I am shown my room, which is upstairs of everyone else's. The oldest, Hugo, also has his room and small apartment up here as well. I only know his door is across the hall from mine, but what is behind it, I haven't a clue. Everything they have provided for me is incredible. I have a living room area, bedroom, and bathroom that make me feel welcome and comfortable. I slipped into bed, and slept well my first night in Quito except for some sort of karaoke bar near-by whose performing patrons didn't have much talent.





Today, I awoke to a beautiful sunny morning, and showered before Gina made breakfast. Afterward, she took me to the gym she goes to and I got a small workout in. Not exactly what I had expected on my first day in Ecuador, but it was surprisingly relaxing. For some silly reason, I chose to use the stair-stepper first. Really, Kait?? You just landed at 9700 ft YESTERDAY. ugh. 15 minutes later and I moved over to walk at a comfortable pace on the treadmill. Then we took a sauna, jumped into cold water, sat in a hot tub, swam, then showered. (If I would have known this was the plan, I clearly wouldn't have showered before breakfast. ooooh well.) Then we came back and Gina, Pamela, and I went to lunch at their mall called Quicento. I was slightly disheartened as we walked up to the food court and saw KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, and more American chains. But Pamela took me over to the Ecuadorian food vendors and had hornados, a plate of delicious pork, mote (a type of corn), avocado, tortillas, tomato, and empanadas. How have I lived this long without empanadas? I know I won't be able to from here on out, that's for sure.


After Quicentro, we went to SuperMax and got me a cell phone to use while I'm here. I am still trying to figure out how to add credits and if I can use it internationally. I'll keep everyone updated on that.

Of course I was exhausted after just this amount of running around. Gina doesn't use traditional medicines or treatments and hasn't for over 25 years; everyday she takes herbal supplements and concoctions. Therefore, her coffee (and tea for that matter) is decaffeinated. Wah Wah. I shall be buying real coffee in the very near and certain future. So, not being caffeinated myself, I rested and fell asleep for two hours. Gina and I had dinner around 8, and POW. Here we are.

My host brothers are on vacation right now, returning tomorrow from what I've gathered from Gina. They've gone to the coast to enjoy the beach. My turn soon? :) I have yet to see my host dad, Hugo, even though I believe he is here. I'm sure I'll be introduced when the time is right.

Everything is going great so far. It's obvious how much work my Spanish needs, but that will take some time. I'm not worried, just oblivious to a lot of things my host mom says. We're working on it; she's patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment