Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Cuenca, Cable Cars, and the South American Cup



Today marks the week countdown left in Ecuador. As this experience comes to a close, it’s hard for me to believe I’ve been here for almost four months.  I look forward to coming home and seeing those people whom I’ve missed for so long, but I’ll also be sad to detach from this way of life that has so amicably taken me in.

First, a few weekends ago our school had a 3K/6K walk and run for students, families, and staff.  My friends and I participated in walking the non-competitive 3K, and watched those more committed runners complete the 6K.  It was a fun day that started off the “juegos internos” or the intramural games for the high school.  

 The high school also had their "entradas" or entrances for juegos internos.  The seniors always go above and beyond every year, and this year was no different. They had chivas, or open-air busses drive them to the field and the came in with fire extinguishers filled with turquoise smoke (their chosen color for their class) with confetti and the whole shebang. It was fun to cheer them on as their student teacher.



 Last Thursday, my friends from Tiputini and I went to the Liga game.  Liga is the popular choice for Ecuadorian soccer fans - and they were getting far in the South American Cup. We watched them beat an Argentinian team 4 to 2! It was so fun to learn the chants and hear all of the Ecua-fans cheer on their team. It was rainy, but a necessary experience. 


The following weekend, Susan and I ventured off to Cuenca, a historical town 10 hours from Quito by bus, but we opted to fly for a modest price, which was worth it when we found ourselves tired and traveling back to Quito.  
 

 Cuenca is filled with beautiful churches and museums that Susan and I walked around appreciating on Friday and Saturday. We ate incredible food and had fun dancing to live music on Friday evening. 
The view from Turi, a viewpoint of Cuenca


Ingapirca ruins



 Sunday we took a bus 2 hours away to the Ingapirca ruins; one site of two Incan ruins left in Ecuador. It was impressive to see the ancient town set up and marked with crumbling walls.  Llamas grazed the site as we lounged in the grass and managed to get a nice, touristy sunburn before heading back into Cuenca.  Our flight left at 6:45pm, so we mosey-ed around Cuenca, ate more food, and waited at the airport for our flight to leave. 



Thanksgiving has come and gone – although without the change in weather and the lack of relatives running around, it didn’t really seem like the holiday to me.  Colegio Menor put on a nice Thanksgiving banquet/potluck for all of the teachers which stifled the nostalgia for home a little bit. I was able to Skype with my family from school as well – it was so nice to hear their voices and imagine my aunt’s house, filled with cousins, babies, and good food, as I talked with them for a short time. (Hi Grammy and Auntie Elaine!)  That evening, the girls on Gonzalez Suarez and I had a nice dinner of ceviche and champagne that was delicious.  We went around the table and tear-ily said what we were thankful for; I thanked all of them for their friendship and compassion, and that they’ve given me a feeling of family so far away from home.  They also had a more open dinner party at their house on Saturday (complete with Christmas music!) with all of the authentic Thanksgiving spread that comforted me and completely filled the holiday void.

Friday my students had a program for the upcoming Fiestas de Quito. Each grade level had been working on a skits and choreography for about three weeks to prepare for this performance. All my kids did great – it was fantastic to finally see what they’ve been working on so arduously for the past month!
Some of the beautiful senior girls before their performance
The studly senior boys with lots and lots of hair gel.

Sunday the census finally happened, so now I have my students back full time.  They all complained a little bit, but they had Monday off of school to recuperate, so I think they’ll be able to work hard this week to wrap up our unit. 


Because my students had yesterday off of school, I took the liberty to give myself a day off, too.  My friend Kristin and I met at 8:30 in the morning to go up the TeleferiQo, a cable-car gondola ride that takes tourists and Ecuadorians alike up the side of Pichincha volcano (it’s the same volcano that’s in all of the view of the city I have – I see it from the terrace in my apartment). We hit the volcano on the perfect morning.   
Up we go!
For three weeks we’ve had rainy season at it’s best – cloudy all afternoon with rain the majority of the late afternoon/evenings.  We got up there at about 9am and the view was clear – and no lines of people! Kristin and I ascended the side of the volcano and walked around at the top. There are some beautiful miradores (viewpoints) along the trails at the top. Patrons can take hiking trails that go on for hours, but be careful, it’s another 3,500 feet higher in elevation! I had to take it slow walking up the hills because of my slowly diminishing flu on top of the thinner air.  Kristin and I walked around and took pictures of ourselves and the view, and eventually made our way back down.  We were ready to say our last words when the cable car STOPPED for about 5 minutes on our way back down. I had read beforehand on an online review that stopping can happen at various points, but it was still a traumatic experience.  I videotaped our goodbyes, and I've uploaded it to YouTube because it didn't load here on the blog. Enjoy! It is quite the comical scene.


My apartment is down there somewhere...
On the opposite side of Pichincha from Quito.



Well, everyone – seven days left! My kids have a test on Thursday, and an open work-day on Friday.  This weekend is Fiestas de Quito with bull fights and non-stop celebrations.  I’ll be packing soon so I don’t leave it all for my emotional last day in Quito.  Monday we have off from school, so Tuesday is my final day at Menor. Then it’s dinner, drinks, and goodbyes with friends, and off to the airport at 11:00pm that night! I hope to update you all before my final descent out of Quito. Hope everyone is keeping warm at home and it’s buried too far under the snow. Yet.

Besitos a todos.

No comments:

Post a Comment