Friday, October 15, 2010

Llama Sweaters, EcuaPants, and the Census

This has been a crazy week, and it's only going to get more insane from here on out! I've been correcting senior's essays since Monday, so I'm just now getting to events from last weekend.

Last Friday after school, Susan, Tessa, JP, and I left for Otavalo. We spent the night there, and went to the famous arts and crafts market the next morning. But first, a note about our amazing hostel. If you ever get to go to Otavalo, Ecuador, I highly recommend staying at La Luna. It's owned and operated by a British woman and her Latino husband. Absolutely gorgeous... you'll see what I mean!


Saturday morning we woke up and had a delicious breakfast at the hostel before heading into town for the day. For about three hours, we shopped around the market and bought gifts for people at home.  For myself, I bought the traditional tourist garb; EcuaPants and a sweater with llamas embroidered on it.  I'll post a picture of this outfit in the future - maybe this week on one of our Spirit/Dress Up Days! Pajama Day perhaps? Anyways, bargaining was one of the most entertaining parts of the experience! I definitely haggled some good deals by walking away from the vendors after they wouldn't take my price. Two seconds after I turned around I'd get a tap on my shoulder and hear, "Senorita, si, si, entonces, $4..."


After we had spent enough money on Ecuadorian souvenirs, we ate at a well-known pie shop that has been raved about by most people who visit Otavalo. They didn't lie. I had a piece of pie de pina, or pineapple. Amazing! We all ordered different flavors so we could share and try multiple kinds. All were top notch and I couldn't pick a favorite if I had to.

We then made our way back to the hostel to grab our bags and backpacks, and prepared to leave for the bus station. Before we left the hostel, we waited on this hilltop for our taxi. It was certainly an unforgettable view.

Today we were notified that next Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday the 10-12 graders are going to be excused from classes.  A selected number of teachers from these grades are required to take seminar classes during these days on how to teach our students how to distribute the census.  The government uses the older school age children to conduct the census every 10 years so they don't have to hire and pay workers. That's Ecuador for you! My concern with this change in schedule is that I was supposed to start my 12th grade unit on Thursday.  After three weeks of planning, I thought my lessons would have to be completely reconfigured.  *Insert Angela to save the day!* We decided that we will still hold class for the seniors on Wednesday (we can do this because they are an AP class, and don't have to abide by the rules of the Ministry! Que Bueno!) so they can take their unit exam, and I can still introduce my unit two syllabus and assign them readings for the extended weekend. Hallelujah! The real adventure is about to begin - I'm using this weekend to mentally prepare for my class takeovers. Updates will come!

No comments:

Post a Comment