Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Pastelazo

Good evening to all! It's been a while since my last post, I've been lesson planning and grading like it's my job lately! Hmm, wait a second... it pretty much is! 

This week I started my units for all sections.  I'm exhausted already, but exhilarated at the same time. Here's how my week has gone:
Monday I started my very own creation of an AP unit (Funny that it's Frankenstein? I think yes...).  I woke up, got ready, and watched my favorite teaching-pep-talk-video on YouTube a few times (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxsOVK4syxU).   I arrived to school to prepare for the day with minimal butterflies and knots in my tummy. My kids did great at completing the homework I assigned over the weekend and seemed like they understood the readings. Most of them paid attention to my powerpoint on Gothic vs Romantic literature.  My C Block, who is usually the worst at focusing, did the best.  They were the most engaged, had the most questions, and laughed the most when I was being silly - because of this I felt the most relaxed with them. My first block, however, I was a mess.  I think I psyched myself out a little too much.  Since then, it's been all about organizing what I have/haven't done with  two of the blocks (because of course, technology and running out of time were two obstacles). I've officially taken over full time; today I started with the 10th graders. They did fantastic as well. With a new seating chart, some of the distractions of neighborly conversations were resolved.  I think The Crucible will be great challenge for them, and myself - I look forward to them acting out a few scenes in the coming weeks. :)
 
I must say, my students are just fantastic. They make this all worth while! All of the observations, field placements, pedagogy studies - it's all paying off when I have a great class with my students. They laugh at how goofy I am when I get excited about something English-y. Yes, they whine, but as soon as they're reminded it's an AP or an Honors class, they quiet down. I'm always stressing how nice I am at assigning homework, and that I'm available for extra help if they need it. They keep ask me when I'm leaving and say that December is too soon, and I need to come back for the next semester.  I received my first Facebook Friend Request from a student the other day. It's still sitting there unanswered, and it will continue to remain that way until after my unit is over and I'm about to leave the country.  I'd love to stay in contact with them after I leave, especially my seniors, but "Facebook Friends" isn't our dynamic right now. I'm a teacher, not a friend.  I have to remind the 12th graders of this fact when the girls ask me to come party with them on the weekends (18 is their drinking age).  *Sigh* They're great kids, but that's a line I shouldn't and don't want to cross. 

Here's Angela's son, Zach, drawing him and I on the whiteboard after school one day. A masterpiece, I say. :)


This past Saturday was Family Day at Colegio Menor!  It was a huge event - games, big bouncy obstacle courses, a haunted house, food from 20+ vendors, a giant slip n' slide, a stage for student and faculty music performances, and much more. It was fun to see my students outside of the classroom on a beautiful day and meet some of their family.  I had a shift at a game where kids tried to kick a soccer ball into cut out holes on a plastic sign covering a soccer net. If they made three out of their four tries, they won an ipod.  These holes were reasonably small in size, so it was next to impossible.  One kid actually won though! I don't think they were counting on more than one winner, so they had to lower the quality of prizes throughout the day.  My next shift (and yes, I volunteered) was to be pied in the face by students. Pastelazo, they call it.  It. Was. Disgusting.  I felt good showing school spirit, but I'll be staying away from this even at all future school functions. Ever. In my life and future career. They were whipping up this cake-batter-cream-egg-milk stuff, putting it on small plates, and letting students throw it at teachers sitting helpless, four feet way on a chair. I brought goggles.


Cleaning myself off afterward was useless. There's no hot water in the showers or bathroom sinks, so the cream just congealed to my hair and skin, leaving me smelling like spoiled milk until I finally went home to shower. It's probably subconscious, but I still get a whiff of the sugary cream every once in a while...

Students are giving presentations on Thursday and Friday, then it's the Dia de Disfuntos holiday break! Finally!  I have plans to go to the coast with my host brother Hugo, a few of his friends and family, and my friend Tessa is coming along.  These plans are pretty last minute, but should be a great time nonetheless! Updates next week. :) 
Love from the equator, Kaitlyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment